Saturday, September 10, 2011

Inspired by Insanity

My journal doesn't look exactly like this--it has lovely rainbow stripes. But it's made by Iota and I'm happily scribbling away in it.

A strange way to begin a blog post, you say? It is not. It's just insane.

My friend showed me a nifty little notebook the other day. In it, she'd jotted down random quotes that struck her fancy. Some of them obviously struck my fancy and knocked it down, because I've thrown my whole being into starting my own "quote journal." Some of the first names to grace its pages have been Victor Hugo, Winston Churchill, Peter Pan, Oscar Wilde, Winnie-the-Pooh, and Lucille Ball. It's a great mix, and I'm absolutely loving searching my books and the internet for random, inspiring quotes.

This is something of an update. Besides my lovely journal, I've finally gained my permit after weeks of stressing, studying, stuttering out answers to my longsuffering sister, and banging my head on the wall. I drove around a very quiet community for the first time today and came home convinced that all of the cars were out to nom me. They were probably only afraid of me. Driving is fun, I can say, but quite scary. I suppose if I was a boy I'd think differently.

I sound sort of like Jo March--I guess it's not much of a surprise, since I've been chewing through Little Women. I actually like it, which is a big surprise since I don't usually like novels dealing with young women coming of age (you should have seen the Elsie Dinsmore books after I was through with them). Little Women is somewhat unbelievable and so sweet it's almost sour, but it's a good story and the characters have thoroughly engaged me (especially Jo, as you already know). I'm also working on Alice in Wonderland and have decided to tackle Anne of Green Gables after resurrecting my love of the story by watching the trilogy starring Megan Follows.

I outlined today. It was unbelievably hard. I found that I could hardly remember the plot of Avaria. It's time to get to work, it seems--and it's time to work hard. But unfortunately, the only work I'll do this week is on paper. Yes. I'm going away again--back to the shore. I love the shore. REALLY I do. I must love it a lot since this is the third time we've been down this year :3 But I've resolved not to bring my laptop and rely instead on my pen, paper, and the cooling September air to inspire me. I hope it works. Otherwise, Fozzy'll murder me.

I hope you're all enjoying the start of the school year. The very first co-op class is finished, and now I get to go meet "The Venerable Bede" as I plow through The Ecclesiastical History of the English People for Brit Lit. Joy.


I'll miss you guys! Let some little insanity inspire you every day, and you might end up with a rainbow-colored journal filled with quotes from Jane Austen to Jack Sparrow (I hope you do!)

~God Bless

Elisabeth

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

I have a quote journal too!

...kind of. It's more like my whole room and everything I own is a quote journal. If I find a quote I like when I'm not on the computer, I'll write it down on a sticky note and stick it on the wall next to my bed, or I'll grab whatever notebook is closest to me and write it down in there. Or I'll write it on my hand. xD

Danielle Coiro said...

GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT. I JOINED BRITISH LIT TOO. I'LL BE YOUR PERSONAL STALKER FOREVER :D

Elisabeth said...

@ Jeanette: I just realized that I adore your name as I double-checked that I was spelling it right XD ALSO, I collect quotes on Goodreads (in fact, I found a lot that went into my journal on that site). I just love some of the things people SAY XD It's hilarious!

@ Danielle: YOU CUT YOUR HAIR. OH MY WORD I WANNA SEE IT.