Monday, March 28, 2011

If the Name Fits...

Names. I'm obsessed with them. I love to look through baby books for unusual or unpronouncable names, and imagine the characters they might fit. Most of the time, my characters are made by the name I choose for them--I can't develop them, know what they look like, know their backstory or any other  important piece of  information until I know their name. Needless to say, I'm not the author with a whole document filled with unnamed characters. I'm the one with a whole document filled with uncharactered names (if that didn't make sense, blame the gophers under your shed =P)

I was really excited to get a blog, not only because it's just plain AWESOME, but also because there's that lovely little box that pops up when you go to post a comment. It has a random, computer-jumbled word which soon becomes the highlight of my day, especially if it sounds cute when you say it (I guess I'm also obsessed with cute characters). I have a huge list of these random words, just waiting for me to scroll through and create a new character from one of them.

Another thing I do for unique names is to either spell a word backwards, or spell it backwards and jumble the letters. Look: I see the "Save Now" button. I take Save, and flip it to Evas. It's pretty, no? =D "Now" is Won, which, unfortunately, is already a word and would make a pretty weird name. But you get the picture =P I do this all the time--I write 'em down in a little book in my purse.  I flip car names, people's names, store names, food names, ANY names at all. It's quite fun. Sometimes it doesn't work quite right--take my name for example. Elisabeth goes to Htebasile. I mean, it sounds like someone sneezed! I kinda omitted the Hte part and got Basile, which I say wrong to make it sound more exotic. I flipped Fozzy's name, too, and got a pretty cool name out of it when I took out a couple of letters here and there.

And, lastly, I surf the web for names. I look for names from different countries, or different variations of familiar names (like Elisabeth has gazillions of variations =D). And, if a name's not quite right, I just rearrange some letters and make it work. It's a hobby, I think.

Some of the problems I have with relying heavily on names is that I find I get a lot of names that are too similar. For example, I am naturally drawn to names that start with A. I don't know why. A names just sound so lovely. I also love Ae names, I names, and names that involve Z's. Once I started a book, and before I'd gotten to the second chapter half of my characters had short names beginning with A's. It was not a pretty sight when I realized it. This Blogger comment-box is really helping me to mix up my name list and pick out some crazy new names that I'd never have been able to think of had I mixed letters 'til I was blue in the face!

Lastly, I sometimes find names in classic books. Twink's name came from The Yearling. In that book, Twink was a girl. My Twink has never forgiven me for that. I know that Fozzy got one of her character's names from To Kill a Mockingbird. That character showed up once, but he had a very interesting name and I only wish I'd found it before she did XD The Bible's also a good place to look--especially the Old Testament. There are PAGES of old names, most of them quite unique and VERY hard to pronounce =D



So, how do you find names? Does the character make the name, or does the name make the character? Are your characters' names unique, or do you find that you, too, have characters with names which look or sound too similar?

'Nother exercise will be coming up soon!

God Bless!

~Elisabeth (or Htebasile, if you must)

10 comments:

Christina Icarus said...

I must say, I got to the third page and went 'YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS'. I'm addicted to my 1990s 20001 Baby Names book. Every time someone sees it, though, they /have/ to make a comment. No, my mom is not having a baby. No, /I'm/ not having a baby. I JUST LIKE NAMES OKAY D<

Anyway. When I pick a name it's got to have a meaning... or I create a meaning for it. I love the name Leia, but it means 'bitter'. Not cool. But Leia could be a nickname for Leialianaa, which is prettier and a heck of a lot funner to say, which sounds like a Hawaiian name meaning heavenly. Much better than 'bitter', right?
No pun intended. >_<

That or my characters just come with names. And I'm like, oh, fine, be EXCLUSIVE like that.
Of course they don't care. XD

Or I just hear a name and I'm like, yeah, that's you.

Actually I guess I have no rhyme or reason to my naming. XD

The word verification for this comment was 'anted'. Just so you know. :P

Fozzy said...

Hold it right there, young lady. Fozzy's name flipped already belongs to an unknown character. YOU SHALL NOT STEAl. And I actually didn't mean to take Zeebo's name from 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I had no idea there WAS a Zeebo XDDD

As for how I come up with names, the character usually shows up with one. It's naming towns and worlds that I have trouble with, and usually search the interwebs for =P My characters usually have very simple names that portray a bit of their personalities. Frayne reminds me of 'Fray'. When I think of 'joining the fray' I think of chaos.

Then again some of my names make no sense. One of my characters is named Green. I had no say in the matter.

Elisabeth said...

@ Painting Tips and Tricks: Thanks for the compliment! Glad you enjoy it =)

@ Pip: YES! Another baby book addict XD Yeah, meanings can actually make a name seem more attractive to me. If it sounds so-so to begin with, I always look at the meaning and the pronounciation. If one of those things is cool, I take the name XD I'm weird like that =P

@ Fozzy: As I remember, I told you about your name spelled backwards and you then stole it XD Well, at least Zeeb wasn't the main character or something... THEN you'd be in trouble from...someone. I didn't even notice that about Frayne! It's cool how authors know these little tidbits that no one else picks up on XD

The word for my post is "Secker." Sounds kinda like a little boy's name.

Jeanette said...

I HAVE A WHOLE DOCUMENT WITH NAMES TOO. 8D
I have two actually. One for fantasy names, and one for realistic names. I lovelovelove putting names together to make first middle and last full names. And that sentence is retarded, but hopefully it makes sense. xD
...and, if you didn't already know, I'm completely obsessed with Lance's birth name. It's epic.

...I just realized that my mom owns a baby names book. I think I shall go rummage around in the closet to find it. xDDD

And the word for my comment is "Ulneste." How interesting....

Elisabeth said...

Most of my characters don't even have middle names =( Only...two, I think. XD And their first names aren't even that spectacular XD

"Ruddif." Huh. Sounds like Rudolph having an allergic reaction...

Christina Icarus said...

"It's cool how authors know these little tidbits that no one else picks up on"

Oh my gosh, Ami, I have so many of thses, thinking about it. I picked Blaine's name just because I was looking for a modern but sleek name, and it means 'Slender'. So I was flipping through my Baby Names Book (YAY FOR BABY NAME BOOKS ADDICTS :D) and I came across Caley, which also means slender or slight. Like, ohmigosh! Now your brother has a name!

I also have funny ways I camed up with all of my fae's names in my 2010 NaNo, but I feel like every time I write a comment I'm writing a book, so I'll just shut up. XDD

Names that bug me are the ones like the verification word for this comment. 'Bodhqdka'. What. How do you even say that, much less spell it the same wway twice? Names like that are not cool. They're annoying, like cats walking across your keyboard are annoying.
I'm looking at you, published fantasy authors with dragon's names like Xtxqdptlz. >.>

Elisabeth said...

Hey, I never thought of trying to relate names by meaning! That's so cool!!!

And what I love about made-up names is that you decide how to pronounce them ;) So if someone says, "It's said this way," you say, "No, I made it up, and you say it like dis." XD I wanna say that to someone someday =D

Rovictu. Sleeeeek =D

Fozzy said...

I tried to go for modern and sleek once. Named my character, then my oldest sister found a boyfriend with the same name. And married him. XDD

Elisabeth said...

No kidding! That's insane XD

Outscer... Jeez.

Jeanette said...

I love finding names with epic meanings. Names like that make me happehh.

Teation. Now that would be weird name. o_O