Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day{s} After

         Christmas Break is almost over. So's the year, for that matter. I hope everyone had as great a time as I did. Now, it's time to get back to business: I have lots of homework to finish, work and school starts back up in less than a week, and, pretty soon, life goes back to normal. Sometimes I wish I could just live in a perpetual Christmas break--bask in the light of our decorated tree all year round, listen to bubbly Christmas songs until my ears bleed, sleep in until ten every morning and then spend the entire day doing nothing but reading the deliciously wonderful books thoughtful friends and family members have dumped upon me in a cascade of ribbon and wrapping paper. It would be nice, in some ways. But, then again, in the two weeks I've had all to myself, what have I done besides the aforementioned activities? Not too much. No writing, no drawing, not a whole lot of reading. Those are things I can only seem to accomplish when life gets crazy; when I need an escape from the whirlwind of activities around me. When I'm left to my own devices with too much time on my hands, the only thing I do is sleep. Way to be a good steward of your time, me.

                                                     
That said, I really did enjoy Christmas this year. I felt that our day was balanced--tentatively, but rightly so--between family, food, gifts and a quiet, inward recognition of the Gift we have recieved. I was able to give away the gifts I'd bought for friends and family, and, I must say, I was really spoiled this year. My mom picked up the last book in the Auralia's Colors series--that was the one gift I was not expecting! I devoured it in two days and am still reeling from the confusing but satisfying conclusion to one of my favorite fantasy series. And--well, instead of me rambling on about all gifts my wonderful family & friends threw at me this year, why don't you just deduce from the picture?



       Ahaha. Yes. Believe it or not, I surprised myself and was actually thrilled about recieving Matthew Henry's commentary on the Bible. It's something I've been wanting for a while, though not something I think I'd ever buy for myself. All in all, I think the bag was my favorite gift. It's just... awesome. Although it doesn't hold as many books as I thought it would. Meh. Nuance.

      As if I hadn't already recieved enough, there's ONE last Christmas gift I have to tell you about (even though it's technically from me to me and I haven't given it to myself yet). Tomorrow, my mom and I are taking my sister and a few friends to see War Horse for her birthday.


     YEAH. How cool is that? Even though I have to pay my way, I'm pretty excited. I don't know whether or not I'd be more excited to see the play....


....where the actors actually ride on life-size puppets.

       Meh. I think the movie score by John Williams (yes, THAT John Williams) will make up for any absence of puppets.


      Lastly, I'm sure you noticed that I've resorted to editing my blog template once again! Let me know what you think--I believe it needs a splash of color to really look good.



     Wishing you and yours a happy New Year,













6 comments:

Danielle Coiro said...

I'm the same way! I thought I would get so much art stuff done during Christmas break. Instead, I just got fat. ;_;

Elisabeth said...

Bahaha XD I'm with you. I slept too late and ate wayyyy too much. Ohmai. I even got chocolate for a present! WHYYYY.

Danielle Coiro said...

I got two sumo wrestler sized chocolate bars in my stocking. AND I WAS DOING SO WELL.

Elisabeth said...

Yeah... That's what parents do for you when you're good. I shoulda been naughty this year XP

Sienna North said...

Ooh, that bag looks quite cute & convenient! And--how interesting--a Bible commentary? Well, I could imagine a few instances where it could be helpful, I suppose. And I'm with you on the chocolates; I got way too many of them myself! I just ate and slept all weekend long. Today is the first time in a while that I'm doing anything useful (I exercised, wrote a blog post, and did laundry--oh my!). Like you said, it makes me both wish and not wish that it was vacation all year!

Elisabeth said...

It is indeed! And yeah--not your typical Christmas gift XD Chocolate, though....ergh. Wish I'd been given less of that XD