Sunday, December 18, 2011

Getting in the Mood


Frank called me one day and said, 'I have an idea for a movie, why don't you come over and I'll tell you?'
So I went over and we sat down and he said, 'This picture starts in heaven'. That shook me.


Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/james_stewart.html#ixzz1gwdjUVhr
It's that time of year again. Time to raid our DVD shelf, searching for just about every Jimmy Stewart movie we own before we plop down on the couch for a veritable marathon of black, white and really tall. All of this joy, of course, can only lead up to one epic film. It's so amazing that my family is only allowed to behold it once every year, sometime around Christmas (preferably Christmas Eve). You must know of it. It's the recorded wonder of that one period in history when Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart made a perfect film (except for that one scene where the wreath is hopping off and on Jimmy's arm).

Yes, people, it's time for It's a Wonderful Life. This is my absolute favorite Jimmy Stewart movie, and almost my favorite movie. In the world. And I've seen my fair share of movies. Good ones, too. But this one's different. It's Christmas for me, not to mention a wonderful story.
It was amazing that a play that seems dated in this world... A man whose best friend is a six-foot white rabbit... But it caught on, especially with young people - they surprised me most of all.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/james_stewart.html#ixzz1gweuK36g
I've been watching this movie around Christmastime for just about my entire life. My dad loves Jimmy Stewart movies, and this is his favorite film ever made (right up along with To Kill a Mockingbird). I love the storyline, the characters, the amazing actors who brought them to life, the black and whiteness of it all, the shine in people's eyes, Zuzu's hair (and her name for that matter!) and that lovely house that leaks. It's all wonderful, and it only comes once a year.

We don't have too many Christmas traditions. In fact, in recent years we've cut back on Christmas presents, Christmas music, Christmas cookies and Christmas decorations. We try to be careful, because Christmas the way we want to celebrate it is for Jesus, not for the pretty lights, yummy food, amazing movies or wonderful music. Watching It's a Wonderful Life, however, is a tradition we plan to keep, and I certainly want to carry on in my life for as long as I have a DVD player.
Well, I think one of the main things that you have to think about when acting in the movies is to try not to make the acting show.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/james_stewart.html#ixzz1gwgAnBlt


I love Christmas, both for all the stuff that doesn't truly matter (lights, food, music, movies, etc.) and for all the things that do (the birth of Christ, our salvation). It's hard to balance out the two, especially when the world is so focused on glorifying material things. That's why I like It's a Wonderful Life so much. It's a story about how material things don't really matter. It shows how one man, fictional though he be, finds out that everything he and his family ever wanted was right in front of them. I love the story. And I think nobody could have done a better job as the lead character than good old Jimmy Stewart. And so tonight, as I put on Harvey and begin my Christmas Countdown, I thought I'd remind you all to think about your own traditions at this time of year. I bet they're great--keep them! But also remember that Christmas means more than traditions can ever show.

More Christmas posts will be coming--don't worry about that! Meanwhile, go find yourself a Jimmy Stewart movie and be happy.

Blessings,

4 comments:

Christina Icarus said...

JIMMY STEWART <3 <3 <3

I really can't think of anything more to say.

That and I REALLY want to see this movie again now. :3

Elisabeth said...

That quite suffices :3 He's pretty awesome!

YOU SHOULD. It's a masterpiece =D But I'm not biased :3

Anonymous said...

Jimmy Stewart is THE best! This movie is also a holiday tradition for our family...I just wrote a post about our's--the majority of them are focused on Jesus, the reason for the season. We've simplified also over the years to really focus in on why we celebrate Christmas...which I CAANNOOT believe is in 6 short days!

Great post!
P.S: I think my favorite Jimmy movie may actually be Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Its a Wonderful Life is a super close second runner up.
Obviously...I mean, c'mon--its Jimmy, in Frank Capra films!

Elisabeth said...

HE IS. I'm always left speechless by his awesomeness XD I KNOW! I'm so excited for it to come. I love it so much!

Thank you ;3

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is such a good movie! I love the concept! I also love You Can't Take it With You--that's when Jimmy was younger--and The Shop Around the Corner. Those are two of his more romantic roles ;)