Saturday, April 2, 2011

Teamwork

Here's a theme (#41) called teamwork. This involves three of my characters who aren't really thieves, but were just so much fun to write as thieves =P And they're all from the same book, which makes it quite amusing.




100 Themes #41: Teamwork

            “Go, go, go!”

            Guinevere’s feet pounded on the hard, glossy floor as she swung a corner and caught a glimpse of Marc bolting for the door. “Hold it!” she shouted, putting on a burst of speed. They crowded through the door together and sprinted onto the blacktop. Their ride, a squat, nondescript sedan with a clumsy paint job, stood idling across the parking lot. As they approached, the car’s motor revved loudly.

            “Can’t he cut the dramatics?” Guinevere threw herself at the passenger door and hurried inside; Marc jumped in the back. There were already several guards charging the sedan from across the lot. She threw their driver a killer glare. “Jace! Drive!”

            “I’m on it!” Jace threw the car into gear and floored the pedal. They lurched forward so quickly that Guinevere almost expected the car to whiplash and fall apart then and there. Somehow, they gained speed and roared across the empty lot.

            “Did you get it?” Jace asked, one hand on the wheel, the other hand grasping a half-empty milkshake cup with obnoxious smiley faces plastered all over it.

            “What do you think?” Guinevere snapped.

            “No thanks to you,” Marc added breathlessly. “Jace, do you think that you might be able to park a little closer to the exit next time? I mean, we had to run across the entire lot!”

            Jace jackknifed the car onto the highway and took a loud slurp of his milkshake. “Well, I just thought you needed the exercise, that’s all.” He turned to Guinevere and smiled broadly. “So, can I see it?”

            A loud horn blared to their left; Jace guided the car into the right lane and smiled sheepishly.

            “Jace.” Guinevere pinched the bridge of her nose and huffed. “Just drive.”

            “And fast,” Marc announced from the back seat. “We’ve got a few cars on our tail.”

            Guinevere clenched her teeth. “Jace!”

            “They must have had their garage somewhere near us!” Jace exclaimed. “I mean, how else could they have gotten to their cars so fast?” He passed two cars and sucked on his milkshake.

            “Gimme that!” Guinevere snatched the cup away from him and threw it out the window. “Just focus on getting us out of here!”

            “My shake!” Jace turned nearly completely backwards as the cup met a semi truck head-on and was reduced to a spray of white sludge on the truck’s windshield. “Guin, that cost me three bucks!”

            “She’ll make it up to you!” Marc shouted. “They’re gaining! Guin, why couldn’t you have chucked that shake at one of the guards’ cars?”

            “I’ll have the foresight to do that next time.” Guinevere transferred the box which she’d had in her hands to Jace’s lap. “Speed up.”

            “Is this the special item?” Jace asked wonderingly. “Can I see?”

            “Jason!” Marc roared. “You just missed our exit!”

            “We can’t exit with them behind us!” Guinevere cried. “This is the best place to lose them!” She reached into the glove compartment and found a small pistol. “Did you load this like I told you to, Jace?”

            “Um—“

            “Don’t answer that,” Guinevere growled. She reached into her pocket and found a small pouch of extra bullets. The gun took only five; she put the rest back.

            “What are you going to do?” Marc demanded.

            “Hope this works like it does in the movies,” Guinevere replied. She leaned out the window and saw three black sedans roaring up behind them. She pulled the trigger; the bullet hit the hood of the first sedan.

            “Maybe I should do it,” Jace suggested.

            “You’re driving!” Guinevere shot again; this time, the bullet missed the cars altogether. “Blast.”

            “I really think I should do it,” Jace said. “Here; hold the wheel.” He reached across Guinevere, snatched the gun, rolled down his window, and leaned out, leaving the wheel unattended.

            “You maniac!” Guinevere lunged for the wheel and turned it sharply to avoid hitting the truck in front of them. “Slow down! You’re going to get us killed!”

            “Hold on!” A shot exploded from the pistol; behind them, tires squealed. Guinevere craned her neck to glance at Marc.

            “He hit the wrong car!” Marc exclaimed.

            Guinevere turned back to the wheel. “He would.”

            A loud crash came a second later; cars slammed into each other. Jace’s foot floored the gas pedal.

            “Are they still coming after us?” Guinevere shouted.

            Jace pulled his head back inside the window, his hair standing almost on end and his eyes watering from the wind. “Nope. They all crashed. One shot—ka-pow!” He took the wheel again and steered serenely off the next exit. “You owe me a milkshake.”

            Guinevere swiveled and peered out the back window; behind them, a smoking pile of wreckage blocked the entire south-bound side of the highway. Marc met her gaze and shrugged.

            “I think he’s right.”

            “And I thought he could only fly airplanes.” Guinevere slumped back into her seat with a relieved sigh. “Good job, Jace.”

            “I know,” he said. “So, after we drop off the box, where to next?”

            “The nearest fast food joint, I guess,” Guinevere muttered, “for a milkshake.”

            “An extra-large shake,” Jace corrected.

            “For everyone,” Marc added.

            Guinevere chuckled wearily. “At three bucks a piece? It’s highway robbery.”

            Jace eyed the box on his lap and shrugged with a grin. “What can I say? We’re good at it.”

7 comments:

Fozzy said...

I. Love. Jace. And your writing skills are crazy, dude.

My word verification was pholumm XDDD I find that amusing.

Christina Icarus said...

I concur: Jace is marvelous. :D
I love the pacing! It was super entertaining. :]

My verification word was rocks.
...
Way to be original. >.>

Elisabeth said...

Z'aw =P Thanks, guys! I was afraid that it would be all cardboard-y and not cool. But Jace makes just about everything cool. I have yet to write a scene in which he crash-lands his airplane... I'm looking forward to that =D I shall try to post it on here when I'm done with XD

Fozzy said...

I WANT TO MARRY JACE.
...
I didn't say that out loud, did I?

Elisabeth said...

^ Ahaha XD That would be so cool! But do you like airplanes...? XD

Jeanette said...

JACE IS AMAZING. =D
I can't wait to read more about him. 8DDDDDDDDDDD

Elisabeth said...

Thanks, Ael <3 I want to post something else about him soon!