Friday, October 7, 2011

Elisabeth with an "S"

 It doesn't sound quite the same, but it's true. Elisabeth with an "S" is a much more interesting way to spell the name ^_^ Biased? Nooooo, not I.

Well, this is getting to be a trend, I think. First Little Women ate up gobs of my time while thoroughly delighting me; now Anne Shirley has captured my attention. That's right--I finally made good on my promise to read the books. And now that I've finished the first one, I don't know how I can bear to read the second one. I just know the characters are going to change.

Anne of Green Gables has an intriguing premise. As the sister of two former foster boys, Anne's plight captured my heart. Just thinking about arriving at what you assumed to be your forever home and then be faced with the prospect of being turned away is heartbreaking. And L.M. Montgomery writes with such maturity that she actually makes Anne's plight become real. The result is breathtaking.

Besides the characters, who deserve a blog post all to themselves on account of their incredible awesomeness; and besides the storyline, which is as simple as can be and yet held me captive for about four hours straight; and besides the fact that this book is set in a real place that you can actually visit (you can certainly tell that Montgomery was a Canadian--she describes every detail in Avonlea to perfection!), I loved the fact that after 100 years (YES! 100 years!) Anne's story is still as believable as ever. The writing is not over-wordy and doesn't use terms foreign to a 21st century teenager (namely, me).

If you've read Anne of Green Gables, I hope you share in my joy. If you haven't, I hope you pick it up and read it sometime. Even if you don't particularly like it, it's a great story and Montgomery was quite accomplished in her craft. I found it almost too easy to read Anne of Green Gables in under four hours, and I definitely plan to read it again in the future. The sequels? I'm not too eager to read them yet. I still have a perfect picture of Anne's life after Green Gables in my mind, and I don't really want her to grow up just yet :]


Besides my latest literary raptures, I've written a bit in the past couple days. College website surfing and college applications have been eating up my time and my insanity. It's hard to believe that I could be in COLLEGE this time next year o_o Scary is a better word, actually.
I wrote a poem, and a muse, and some random outbursts of frustration at my inability to express my joy at being able to write again. None of them passed the "blogworthy" test, however, and thus I have nothing to show to you. Lord-willing, I will. Soon. VERY SOON.

Alas, it's time to say goodbye. Take a look at my new siggie as you leave. I made it HERE. You should all grab one, too!

God Bless!
(GRAHH. It has a white background DX Oh, well. Another thing to tinker with ;D)

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

I love Little Women and Anne of Green Gables. They're books I've been obsessed with since... well, now I don't rightly remember... but I've loved them for a long, long time. SO I AM HAPPY YOU'RE FINALLY READING THEM. xD

College applications are scary. Mine is doneee! Mostly. I just have to finish my transcript. xD
Any solid ideas of the college you'll probably be going to?

Elisabeth said...

THEY WERE VERY GOOD 8D I'm so glad I read them :3

The scariest thing is, as of right now I'm only applying to one college, and it's STILL a whole lotta work. Right now, I'm applying to Covenant College in Georgia =D I'm rather obsessed with it, actually XD

Jeanette said...

Yay! Now you just have to finish the series. xD

Haha, I only applied for one college... mostly 'cause I've wanted to go there for a long time... and being obsessed with one college is fun... right? :D

Elisabeth said...

I KNOWWW XD I'm kind of scared how it might end, though. I AM going to read the next Little Women book, just because I love Jo X3

IT IS SO FUN. I don't have to worry about numerous applications! The only thing is I'm stressed about whether or not I'll get accepted. I THINK I will....But I'm not totally sure. So yeah. If I don't, MY DREAMS DIEEEEE. Not really. But sort of :P

Jeanette said...

Haha, well, they're all written awesomely... so I'd have to say that Anne of Avonlea is my favorite. :3
...and Jo is amazing. I looove her. I had to play her in the duo I did last year. It was fun. xD

Yay! Yeah... same here. I'm pretty sure I'll get accepted, but if I don't I'm not sure what I'll do with myself.

Elisabeth said...

I absolutely loved the MOVIE which featured Anne of Avonlea's storyline. I shall just have to put on a brave face and read on :P

THAT'S SO COOL. I wanna be Jo XD

EXACTLY. I mean, I'm kind of staking everything on this one college, and if it doesn't work out, I'm stuck for a bit o_o Of course, if I do get accepted, I just know I'll be flipping out about leaving home. So either way there's a huge nervous breakdown coming XDDD