Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"...A date which will live in infamy..."

{Via}
If you know me well, you'll know that I'm an unabashed history buff. I love history. I watch history movies, read historical nonfiction, talk about historical occurences and recently began to write my very first historical fiction novel: To Bring Mae Flowers. I wasn't always so history-crazed. I used to hate it with a passion. My 3rd grade history book covered things like Roman and Greek history, which, I'm ashamed to admit, I found utterly boring. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I discovered history for the truly wonderful thinbg it is: a long, long story. Arguably the greatest story ever told. The Bible? That's a history book. All those things really happened. To real people. In real places. The rest of history is like the sequel to the Bible, leading up to the grand ending when Christ returns and writes the final words, which have been known to God for all ages past, present and future, for all to see. I wish I could know everything there is to know about history.... all the nuances and interesting little facts that exist. But it's been my experience that a person is usually drawn to a particular era in history, and so it is with me. I'm a World War II history buff, and proud to be one.

That's why this day is so special.

I'm sure we all know the general story. On December 7th, 1941, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Less than 24 hours later, the United States entered World War II. It's not much of a beginning. Usually we remember grander battles and more glorious entries into war. This attack was quick, unexpected, and deadly. The real fight was yet to come. But every story has to have a starting point. For the United States, this was it.

Do you realize that today marked the 70th anniversery of that point? I personally know one World War II veteran. He's into his nineties and beginning to slow down. The rest of his generation are not far behind in age or health. It's a startling thing to think about, but we're beginning to see what has been called the Greatest Generation die out. For me, it's traumatizing. History is slipping away. Chances to talk to the men and women who were there are becoming scarce. Soon, all of these things will have been written down for the archives, and the last few who remained will have passed on.

I don't usually observe days of remembrance, but today I wanted to. Just for a minute. And I wanted you to think about these things, too, even if you're not totally nuts about the 1940's like I am (although, if you want an awesome period of history to be nuts about, the 1940's is the bomb). Today was a day to remember a starting point. Before long, there will be a little ending as a generation moves aside to make room for new ones. The story goes on. But let's not forget what happened before our chapter began.

Sorry for being a tad sentimental, and for using all those writing examples. Hey, what can I say? I'm a writer: it's what I do.


December 7th, 1941-December 7th, 2011.

Wow.


Seventy years later,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a great post, Elizabeth!

Just wanted to pop by on your ridiculously adorable space in the blogosphere and say "Hi!" I "found" you thru Beautiful People.

I want to hear more about that story! You are seriously the ONLY one I know that is doing historical fiction! I love it!

Elisabeth said...

Hi Meghan! Thank you so much for your beautiful comment. It really makes my day when people stop by to check out my blog!

I'm still plugging away at my story, but posting a synopsis is one of those long-neglected things I've wanted to do for a while. Thanks for the reminder--I'll get right to it :3