Saturday, December 31, 2011

Really, now.

I'm an obsessive music lover. When I find a song that I like, I listen to it. I listen to it again and again and again. For me, it never gets old. For other people... well, they usually just leave the room.

But today, I've outdone myself.

I went to see War Horse the other day with my sister, mom and a couple of friends. I won't even try to tell you how great it was (that might take all day). It was pretty simple for me: horses + English people + rolling green fields where said horses can run for a gloriously long time + a backdrop of one of the deadliest and most tragic wars in history + a phenomenal musical score (which I will mention again) = a pretty awesome movie. It was heartfelt, yet at the same time not at all the syrupy mess most horse films degenerate into about five minutes after the opening credits. It had a lot of suffering and tragedy woven into its plot line, yet at the same time, no matter how many battles you saw or how many characters died, you always knew in the back of your mind that everything was going to be okay in the end. It was a blend of real life and child-like faith in what seems impossible, and I think everyone involved in the making of the film pulled it off brilliantly.

I mentioned in my last post that I was expecting the score by John Williams to be good. Well, it wasn't. It was spectacular. So spectacular, in fact, that I've been haunting the War Horse official website for the last 15-odd hours, refreshing the page so that I can hear a three minute long snippet of the music.

That's pretty disturbing even for me.

With that, my friends, I'm off to Grooveshark to deliver some well-earned respite to my family, who by now probably have the theme for War Horse seared onto their very brains.


No comments: